“The togetherness is very powerful in healing trauma.”
Project MCAS Success at Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis Schools
Two hours of tutoring in math and English Language Arts, followed by an hour of dance, basketball or other activities.24 weeks throughout the year, including 6 weeks in the summer.
Volunteer tutors are trained to provide quality, personalized attention.
Student grades have improved by a full point, to a B- up from C-/D+
As of fall 2013, most tutors were young adult college graduates of color.
Program also runs at DSNI.
TEEP @ Roxbury (Trinity Education for Excellence Program)
- A six-year program which puts youth on track for college—100% of students who complete the program enroll in college.
- Five intensive weeks each summer, with ongoing support during the school year.
- Since 2008, TEEP @ Roxbury has enrolled 75 students, and in 2014 that number will grow to 100.
- A focus on diverse, young adult tutors who inspire and mentor youth.
- Six hours of training to ensure community volunteers become quality tutors.
- Evaluation of tutors to assess their impact and improve their teaching.
- Organized teachers, parents, community members and partners to work on behalf of Dearborn Middle School.
- Successfully worked with the Mayor, Superintendent, State Treasurer and others to transform the Dearborn into a 6-12 Early College STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Academy.
- Secured $50 million in state funding for Dearborn School renovation, the first building built specifically to support STEM education!
To keep the 6-12 Early College STEM Project on track, SIC:
- Co-Chairs Dearborn Community Alliance of Teachers, Administration, Parents and Community partners.
- Meets with Mass School Building Authority, Boston Public Schools and City officials to ensure each entity is moving forward their part of the process
- Organizes teacher and community member participation in public actions to keep up the momentum of the project.
- SIC’s CTC offers computer courses for advanced certification in technology fields to unemployed and underemployed adults, enabling them to gain expertise in order to secure employment.