DEARBORN PARENTS: Join us October 7 at 7 pm in the Burke/Dearborn cafeteria for an important meeting about academic plans for the Dearborn now that it has been named a "Level IV Under Review" by BPS. Call 617-445-6262 with questions.Learning Out Loud tutoring program starts THIS Saturday, October 4th! Open to 4th - 9th graders; scroll to bottom to sign-up your student or to volunteer to tutor. Join us for "Our Voices, Our Stories" Community Conversations on trauma. Next conversations on October 16th, and November 13th, 6pm - 9pm in Gilchrist Hall at RPC, 328 Warren Street. Dinner served at 6 pm, discussion begins by 7 pm.
Common Unity: Nights for Youth Peace provides teens & young adults with a forum to promote peace through moderated open dialogue, inspirational speakers and trainings, and the opportunity to create performance art about the issues in our neighborhoods. Common Unity meets on First Fridays of the month from 6 - 10 pm during the school year in the basement of the Roxbury Presbyterian Church and will include dinner. JOIN US FRIDAY OCTOBER 3RD!!
Staff for Common Unity: Issa Bibbins, Director; Angel Padilla, Youth Mentor; Stephen Walker, Youth Outreach Coordinator; with help from Grammy Award Winner Wyatt Jackson and many more committed volunteers!
$25 - Helps with outreach about Common Unity Peace Cafes
$50 - Covers a Tutor stipend for Learning Out Loud
$100 - Buys healthy breakfast food for 1 Learning Out Loud Saturday
$250 - Covers the cost of a trauma training for teens
$500 - Covers the cost of a field trip for Learning Out Loud students
$1,000 - Helps provide professional trauma support at "Our Voices, Our Stories" community conversations on trauma
The Social Impact Center is the non-profit arm of Roxbury Presbyterian Church, with a mission to create educational and economic development programs to strengthen the Roxbury community. As transitional leader, Liz has already doubled the programs of the Social Impact Center, reaching out to educate and empower youth and young adults in Roxbury. She has also:
- Doubled enrollment in the Learning Out Loud tutoring program, expanded to grades 4 – 8 and extended the program by 12 weeks. Student grades improve to B-, up from C-/D+. Help us continue to expand enrollment and add mentoring and character curriculum.
- Forged a second school partnership, now at Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis, working for dramatic improvements at both schools. Help us grow our programs & parent engagement.
- Secured Mayor Martin Walsh’s promise to unequivocally support the $50 million Dearborn STEM Academy through to completion. Help us keep up the pressure until funding is secured.
-Brought the voice of inner city youth to Gun Violence Hearings at the State House and around our Commonwealth. Help us launch evening programming and grow our political engagement of youth.
Help us keep these programs going! White House Award Winner! This was truly a great honor!
Your Support Helps These Future Leaders!
Donations Will Support Our Programs & Success
Project MCAS Success at Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis Schools - Learning Out Loud
- Two hours of tutoring in math and English Language Arts, followed by an hour of dance, basketball or other activities.
- 24 weeks throughout the year, including 6 weeks in the summer.
- Volunteer tutors are trained to provide quality, personalized attention.
TEEP @ Roxbury (Trinity Education for Excellence Program)
- A six-year program which puts youth on track for college—100% of students who complete the program enroll in college
- Five intensive weeks each summer, with ongoing support during the school year
Organizing For Dearborn Transformation - Organized teachers, parents, community members and partners to work on building the Dearborn STEM Academy
Timothy Smith Computer Technology Center (CTC) - SIC’s Computer Technology Center offers courses for advanced certification in technology fields to unemployed and underemployed adults, enabling them to gain expertise in order to secure employment.