Thanks to everyone who supported our fundraiser in honor of Rev. Liz Walker’s installation. We have raised over $50,000 (and counting), and all of it will support the expansion of our tutoring programs with Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis students. We are helping prepare them for a world-class STEM school!AMAZING NEWS! On Wednesday, March 28, the Massachusetts School Building Authority approved a $70 million construction plan for the Dearborn 6 - 12 STEM Academy (Science Technology Engineering & Math). This is the first school building in the country that will be built specifically to support STEM education.
Common Unity: Nights for Youth Peace provides teens & young adults with a forum to promote peace through moderated open dialogue, trauma trainings, and the opportunity to create performance art about the issues in our neighborhoods. Common Unity will take place on Thursday evenings from 6 - 10 pm throughout the summer in the basement of the Roxbury Presbyterian Church and will include dinner.
Staff for Common Unity: Issa Bibbins, Director; Angel Padilla, Youth Mentor; Stephen Walker, Youth Outreach Coordinator; with help from Grammy Award Winner Wyatt Jackson and many more committed volunteers!
$25 - Helps with outreach about these evening peace cafes
$50 - Covers a youth stipend for one evening of Common Unity
$100 - Buys healthy dinner food for 20 young adults
$250 - Covers the cost of a trauma training for teens
$500 - Covers the end of summer event for Common Unity
$1,000 - Helps us start Common Unity in June
The Social Impact Center is the non-profit arm of Roxbury Presbyterian Church, with a mission to create educational and economic development programs to strengthen the Roxbury community. As transitional leader, Liz has already doubled the programs of the Social Impact Center, reaching out to educate and empower youth and young adults in Roxbury. She has also:
- Doubled enrollment in the Learning Out Loud tutoring program, expanded to grades 4 – 8 and extended the program by 12 weeks. Student grades improve to B-, up from C-/D+. Help us continue to expand enrollment and add mentoring and character curriculum.
- Forged a second school partnership, now at Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis, working for dramatic improvements at both schools. Help us grow our programs & parent engagement.
- Secured Mayor Martin Walsh’s promise to unequivocally support the $50 million Dearborn STEM Academy through to completion. Help us keep up the pressure until funding is secured.
-Brought the voice of inner city youth to Gun Violence Hearings at the State House and around our Commonwealth. Help us launch evening programming and grow our political engagement of youth.
Help us keep these programs going! White House Award Winner! This was truly a great honor!
Your Support Helps These Future Leaders!
Donations Will Support Our Programs & Success
Project MCAS Success at Dearborn & Higginson-Lewis Schools - Learning Out Loud
- Two hours of tutoring in math and English Language Arts, followed by an hour of dance, basketball or other activities.
- 24 weeks throughout the year, including 6 weeks in the summer.
- Volunteer tutors are trained to provide quality, personalized attention.
TEEP @ Roxbury (Trinity Education for Excellence Program)
- A six-year program which puts youth on track for college—100% of students who complete the program enroll in college
- Five intensive weeks each summer, with ongoing support during the school year
Organizing For Dearborn Transformation - Organized teachers, parents, community members and partners to work on building the Dearborn STEM Academy
Timothy Smith Computer Technology Center (CTC) - SIC’s Computer Technology Center offers courses for advanced certification in technology fields to unemployed and underemployed adults, enabling them to gain expertise in order to secure employment.